Friday, February 26, 2021

Teachings of BhagavanSri Ramana Maharshi

By steady and continuous investigation into the nature of the mind, the mind is transformed into That to which 'I' refers; and that is in fact the Self. 

The mind has necessarily to depend for its
existence on something gross; it never subsists by itself. 

It is the mind that is otherwise called the subtle body, ego, jiva or soul.

That which arises in the physical body as 'I' is the mind. If one enquires whence the 'I'-thought arises in the body in the first instance, it will be found that it is from the hrdayam or the Heart. 
That is the source and stay of the mind. 

Or again, even if one merely continuously repeats to oneself inwardly 'I-I' with
the entire mind fixed thereon, that also leads to the same source.

The first and foremost of all thoughts that arise in the mind is the primal 'I'-thought. It is only after the rise or origin of the 'I'-thought that innumerable other thoughts arise. In other words, only after the first personal pronoun, 'I', has arisen,
do the second and third personal pronouns (you, he, etc.) occur to the mind; and they cannot subsist without it.
Since every other thought can occur only after the rise of the 'I'-thought, and since the mind is nothing but a bundle of
thoughts, it is only through the enquiry, 'Who am I?' that the mind subsides. 

Moreover, the integral 'I'-thought implicit in
such enquiry, having destroyed all other thoughts, itself finally gets destroyed or consumed, just as a stick used for stirring the burning funeral pyre gets consumed.

To keep the mind constantly turned inwards and to abide thus in the Self is the
only Self-enquiry.

 ~ The Teachings of Bhagavan
Sri Ramana Maharshi
 in His Own Words

Edited by:
ARTHUR OSBORNE

No comments:

Post a Comment