Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Balakanda of Valmiki ramayana in english

Courtesy: Sri.PR.Ramachander


My dear Friends,
When my friend Sri Lakshmanan of the Celextel Spiritual stores Madras requested me to translate" Valmiki Ramayanam" in to English, I took it is an order from God to me. Ofcourse the tough work that has be put in and my age bothered me a lot. Then I thought that God knows more about than me . I started the job of translation on 22nd May 2013. As on today I have completed the English prose translation of Bala Kandam of the great epic. You can read my translation in
1.Bala Kandam (1-26 sargams)
http://englishvalmikiramayanam.blogspot.in/2013/06/bala-kanda-1-26.html
2.Bala Kandam (27-49)
http://englishvalmikiramayanam.blogspot.in/2013/06/bala-kanda-27-49.html
3.Bala kandam (50-77)
http://englishvalmikiramayanam.blogspot.in/2013/06/bala-kanda-sarga-50-77_24.htm
This is the first time that I am reading Valmiki Ramayanam in Sanskrit. The reading of Bala Kanda gave very many surprises. I am mentioning some of them:-
1.Dasaratha did not intend to do Puthra Kameshti Yaga but did Aswa Medha Yagna for getting a son. Rishyasringa , who conducted the Yaga, later continued and did Puthra Kameshti, which he says occurs in Atharvana Veda.
2. Ganga was the elder sister of Parvathi.
4.Parvathi cursed that the world will become irregular and will not have the same master(several kings).
5.Skanda got the name because he slided down from the womb of Ganga and he got six heads because he wanted to suckle the six Kathika maidens at the same time. He got the name Saravana as he was left in a forest of stick like plants.
6.Ahalya willingly entered in to relation with Indra , in spite of knowing it is him and not her husband. She was not cursed to become a stone but was made invisible and do penance without food or sleep and got Moksha, when she saw Rama entered her hermitage .Indra , by the curse lost his testicles and the Pithrudevathas cut the testicles of Rama and attached it to him.
7.Lakshmana's wife Urmila was the daughter of Janaka
8.None of the women folk of both families seem to have attended , the wedding ceremony of Rama with Sita.
Not being a scholar all these surprised me a lot. Bala Kanda has large number of interesting stories told by Viswamithra to Rama .

No comments:

Post a Comment