Monday, September 23, 2013

Namdev-Part4

Courtesy:Smt.Saroja Ramanujam

They had the darsan of Lord Siva who turned towards them thus, as if to show how much he enjoyed harinamasankeerthan.

 

Then jnanadeva sings,

Saara saara saara vitoba naama thuje saara

Vitoba , your name is the essence of all

mhaNonee SoolapaaNee japadhaahe vaaram vaara

Lord Sankara wearing the trident also chant your name only.

aadhi maDhya anthee nijabeeja Omkaara

It is the source of pranava , pervading the beginning , middle and the end.

Dhruva prahlaadha ambarudshee maanilaa nirdhaara

Your name was extolled by Dhruva,Prahlada,  Amabrisha and others.

Bhukthi mukthi sukhadhaayaka saachaara

It bestows enjoyment as well as the bliss of mukthi

Patheetha ajnaana jeevatharale apaara

It redeems ignorant who have fallen into samsara

dhiva se dhiva se vyrTha jaathaa samsaara

Why revolve around the worldly life in vain

baapa rakumaa dhevivaru vittlaachaa aaDhaara

When there is the supreme purusha Vittala the consort of Rakumayee.?

After this they returned to Pandaripur where there was a great gathering of all the saints like Ghora kumba, Janabhai, Mukthabai and others. Ghora invited them all to his house and they went.

Then the Lord decided to stage a leela to make Namadeva a polished diamond.  Ghora invited the devotees to his house and they all went there. Ghora honoured them and Jnanadeva asked Ghora whether there are any unbaked pots in his house. Ghora understood what he meant and took a stick with which he stirred the clay and tapped everyone on their heads. All kept quite but Namadeva alone protested, when Ghora said "This is the only unbaked pot." All laughed and when Namdeva was offended, Jnanadeva told him that a real enlightened one never cared for the body. Nama deva was hurt and returned to Pandaripur and complained to Panduranga .

He said,

"Oh Lord you have been making me feel all these days that I am dear to you and you would not part with me for anything etc. Was it all a lie? If it was true why did you allow me to be humiliated in presence of other devotees. Is this why you sent me with Jnanadeva?"

Panduranga said, " My dear, they were right. Your bhakthi is perfect and for that reason you are very dear to me. But you have not yet acquired enlightenment which comes only when you shed the attachment to your body and mind. That was why you opposed being tapped  by the rod. "

Namadeva said, " Then could you not grant me that enlightenment? "

The Lord said " No. you have to get it from a guru. Whom you are destined to meet in this life . I myself in my incarnations had to go to a guru without which one's learning does not become complete. You go to Mallikarjuna and seek Visobha who will lead you to enlightenment."

Namadeva went to Mallikarjuna and he saw Visobha there but he was shocked to see that Visobha was lying in the temple with his feet on the sivalinga. Namdeva thought , " How could Panduranga send me to this man who does not even seem to know that it is sacrilege to put one's feet on the image of the Lord?" Then he asked Visobha, " Sir  don't you see that you are doing something wrong by putting up your feet on the Linga"

Visobha replied, My son I am very old and weak. I do not have strength even to move my feet. Why don't you lift them and place them on the ground?" Namadeva tried to do that but found that wherever he moved the feet there appeared a sivalinga under them. Then the ego of Namadeva and he became enlightened to such an extent that when he went back to Pandaripur  he did not even go and visit Panduranga.

Panduranga was surprised at this . He talked to Namadeva  and said,

 " Have you forgotten me Namadeva or angry with me? You never came to see me afte r your return from mallikarjuna?"

Namadeva said, " NO my Lord how can I forget you when I am seeing you everywhere now and inside me also so that I feel Iam not different from you? I do not have to see you only in the temple  now. That is all." Panduranga laughed and said ,

"Now the pot is properly burnt."

Namadeva lived past 80 years of age and wrote more than 2000 abhangs. While his abhangs before this experience were full of yearning the later ones were expressing the inner bliss he enjoyed after his enlightenment

No comments:

Post a Comment