Monday, August 12, 2013

Garuda Panchami - Part 2 - Garuda Ashtottara Namavali

Courtesy: Sri.Krishnan Muralidharan
Greetings and Namaste. This is a bit unusual that I  am sending two posts on the same occasion. Actually it so happened that the chief Bhattacharya of Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple in Singapore asked me for Garuda Sahasranama a few weeks ago and I hence endeavoured my best to codify and bring out the same just in time for Garuda Panchami. I went to the temple and gave him a printed copy. He also requested me to send Garuda Ashtottara Namavali if possible - perhaps he wants to use the same for Garuda Panchami on Sunday. So, I decided to follow-up with a second mail with Ashtottara Shata Namavali.
Also, I also got a query from a member of my distribution list to describe the significance of Garuda worship. I am not sure whether qualified to answer this but will make a humble attempt.
Please find attached Garuda Ashtottara Shata Namavali from Brahmanda Puranam in Devanagari, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada scripts.
With respect to Garuda worship, I gather the following:
  • Garuda worship destroys one's sins and establishes true Bhakti to Lord - Swamy Vedanta Desikar is said to have meditated on Lord Garuda in Thiruvaheendipuram first before meditating on Lord Hayagriva and Lord Garuda Himself initiated Him into Lord Hayagriva Upasana. Garuda Panchashat was composed in this context. Later he also composed Garuda Dandakam when he was affronted by a snake charmer who tried to cross him with poisonous snakes.
  • Garuda worship is said to provide personal magnetism, power of influence, control of enemies (physical as well as metaphorical), conquering the five elements, improvement of memory and oratorical skills.
  • Garuda is also believed to be the embodiment of Gayatri Mantra and bestows Brahma Vidya.
But I am not sure whether Garuda Upasana is taken with any specific outcome in mind apart (or as a prelude to some other endeavour) from the above. Perhaps learned scholars could elaborate.
Sanskrit
Telugu
Kannada
Tamil

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for making this document. I think you need to fix the links because all of them leads to only the Kannada Version.

    ReplyDelete