Friday, June 14, 2013

shaking hands

courtesy: Sri.PK.Ramakrishnan
 
Years ago when Sri Morarji
Desai was Deputy Prime Minister (or Prime Minister) of India, in a public speech mentioned that Indians should
not shake hands which is a Western practice. One should only join the palms and say namaste without touching the other.

At that time I sent a
letter to him quoting a verse from Ramayana that shaking hands was also
prevalent in ancient times. Only
emphasis is that it should be with equals. He acknowledged my letter to him.
There was no internet then.

Here is the verse from
Ramayana Kishkinda Kanda Sarga 5 Sloka 12
Sugriva speaks to Rama.

रोचते यदि वा सख्यं बाहुरेष
प्रसरितः /
गृह्यतां पाणिना पाणि: मर्यादा
बध्यतां ध्रुवा //

If you like my
friendship I am extending this arm.
Hold my hand with your
hand and let us enter into
a firm agreement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment